10 Reasons Why The Newsboys were the Best Christian Band of the 90’s….
1. 5 Kiwi Guys in one band….a phenomenal idea for fans in Canada and the States (please just speak to us in your accents).
2. They shockingly released more than one good album.
3. Peter Furler’s baldness and intense eyebrows were a signature trade of the band.
4. They successfully used the word “hell” in a Christian song and about Breakfast nonetheless!
5. Phil Joel’s long curly blonde locks inspired many guys to take up playing the bass and grow their hair out just so they could do his “hair flip” in between chords.
6. They did a tour in a dome….who does that…..ok….this was not in the 90’s but still, AMAZING!!!!!!!
7. Peter was not the only one could sing….really and truly when more than one guy in your band can sing, it just elevates your group into another category. In case you’ve only heard Peter sing then please check out the song “Entertaining Angels”.
8. The band toured in Canada more than twice. I’m sorry but if you want to make it in Christian music and refuse to regularly visit your Christian brothers and sisters in the North then you just haven’t really made it. Plus you’ll be labelled a music snob and no, I’m not naming any names!
9. This band is lyrically superior to many of the “we love you Lord” type of bands! It’s easy to write a popular song in Christian music when most Christians think any song that declares their devotion to God is a hit. Not to say that it’s not heartfelt but the Newsboys had song after song that introduced complex and well thought out lyrics. In case you don’t believe me….please listen to “Reality”, “Take me to your leader”, or “Hallelujah”!
10. The Newsboys managed to increase their popularity while impacting thousands of hearts with their music and testimonies. I can’t think of one scandal in the life of their band that caused people to question their witness. In a day and age where eyes are everywhere, this certainly should be credited to the character of the guys.
As most of you probably know, Peter Furler stepped down as lead singer of the band a little while ago and Micheal Tait took over the role. Yes….Micheal Tait from DC Talk. In case I’ve just shocked some of you with this news, you should really check out some of their new stuff, it’s not half bad! It’s certainly not the Newsboys that we grew up with and remember, but those growing up in this decade won’t know the difference. Alas, the real Newsboys will live on forever in my heart and my itunes and there’s no doubt that “I AM NOT ASHAMED” to be a lover of this Kiwi band!